What Made Your Car Insurance Rates Go Up
Budgeting is a critical skill to manage your finances. As you know, life is filled with unexpected surprises; some better than others. Of course, it seems like these unexpected surprises only arise at the worst time possible. Let’s say you’re trying to renew your car insurance, the last thing you’ll need is a premium increment that can throw off your entire budget. If you’re wondering: “Why did my car insurance rates go up suddenly?” One thing you should always remember is that the price you will pay for your car insurance is always determined by risk among other factors that affect the price of car insurance in Saudi.
Below, we’ll explain in detail what caused your car insurance rates to go up all of a sudden. So, read on!
Why did my car insurance go up?
Oftentimes, there are obvious reasons and common explanations behind your car insurance rates going up. In most cases, you can control the pricing factors especially if they’re related to your driving record, such as:
Compare Car insurance quotesGet a quote
Causing Car Accidents
Typically, insurance companies weigh your driving history and driving habits heavily when calculating your rates. As a result, most people know that they’ll find themselves paying significantly higher car insurance rates after being involved in car accidents. On the flip side, SAMA instructed insurance companies to recognize careful drivers and qualify them for No Claim Discount as a reward for having a clean driving record. Moreover, No Claims Discount NCD aims to encourage more drivers to adopt safe driving habits and consequently reduce accidents rates and economic losses.
Getting Traffic Violations
Similarly, insurance companies consider traffic violations and tickets on your driving record a red flag.
Especially, when you have numerous or serious driving misadventures on your record such as speeding and overriding a red light. According to statistics, speed is a key risk factor in accidents; because speed will increase both the reaction distance, as well as the braking distance.
Filing a Comprehensive Claim
Usually, your insurance provider won’t fork out any money when the other driver is 100% liable for the accident. This is because the other driver insurer will pay for repairing any damage and your medical expenses, if necessary. But, if you’re wondering: Will My Car Insurance Cover a Hit & Run in Saudi? The answer is yes- but unfortunately, this claim might lead your rate to increase.
Losing Car Insurance Discounts
On average, Car insurance discounts in Saudi range from 10%-20% but they can save you a lot of money in the long run. In theory, most drivers are eligible for:
- No claim discount – Lost once you file for a claim.
- Loyalty discount – Lost once you switch your car insurance provider.
Worry not! There are still many ways to get the best insurance offers, all you have to do is compare car insurance prices online.
Other Factors that Determine Your Rates
On other occasions, your car insurance rates could increase (or even decrease!) for reasons beyond your control, such as:
- First and foremost, high accident rates equal high insurance rates in general.
- When the cost of spare parts and repair workshops go up, expect your car insurance rates to do the same.
- Also, you can blame it on potholes and poor road conditions because they cause many injuries and accidents.
- Moreover, increasing the value of (Diya) i.e blood money; In fact, raising blood money incurs various losses for insurance companies
- Another reason is insurance fraud. The rate of car insurance fraud in Saudi Arabia is up to 15-20%, which is higher than the global average of between 9 to 10%. Therefore, Najm is deploying Artificial Intelligence in order to detect & deter fraud cases.
- Additionally, the number of uninsured cars can affect everyone – as the head of “Najm” explained that insuring all cars in Saudi Arabia would contribute to reducing insurance rates by 50%.
- Finally, your insurance company may re-evaluate your car’s make and model when there’s a spike in claims. This could mean your car might not be safe it is less safe and more likely to cause harm or injury.
Of course, you should also note that all additional covers and add-ons cost extra cash.
All in all, car insurance prices are always subject to SAMA’s supervision. However, once you familiarize yourself with the pricing factors and how insurance works, you will be able to get the best car insurance for the best price. Also, you can maximize your opportunities to save more on car insurance if you compare car insurance rates from multiple companies online.