Will Car Insurance Cover 17-Years-Old
All drivers in Saudi need car insurance — No matter how old they are, no matter how experienced they are! The minimum insurance requirements in Saudi apply to everyone driving a car, even if they only have a driver’s permit and plan to start driving the family car. As a 17-year-old, you should learn about car insurance, from your options to how to minimize the expensive costs.
Read this quick guide for everything you need to know as a first-time driver!
Can 17-year-olds drive in Saudi Arabia?
The minimum driving age in Saudi Arabia is 17 years according to the Hijri calendar. Once you are 17, you can obtain a car driving permit, which will be valid for just one year; while a permanent driver’s license can be obtained at 18 Hijri years.
Compare Car insurance quotesGet a quote
What’s the difference between a license and a permit?
|Comparison||Driver’s Permit||Driver’s License|
|Applicant’s Age||17 years old||18 years old|
|Usage||Only inside Saudi||Valid inside & outside Saudi; especially in GCC countries.|
|Validity||Temporary: valid for one year only.||Permanent: valid for 5-10 years.|
|Fees||SAR 10||SAR 200|
Driver’s permit requirements
- The applicant’s minimum age must be 17 years.
- Medical check-up report.
- 6 photos, size (4X6) cm.
- A scan of Saudi National ID, or a scan of the passport for non-Saudis.
- A file to keep the papers.
- The applicant needs to pass the theoretical test at the driving school, under the supervision of the Traffic Department, as well as pass the driving test at the driving school.
Hooray! Now that you have got your driver’s permit, there’s one more step to take before you hi the road. Like any responsible driver, your next step should be finding car insurance — just because it’s a requirement here, that doesn’t mean it’s not the smart thing to do regardless. Car insurance will protect you financially when you get into accidents.
What should 17-year-olds know about insurance?
Age and car insurance rates
There are lots of factors that contribute to your car insurance rate, but age is a very significant rating factor. Car insurance companies consider age; because, a driver’s age measures their driving experience and accident risk.
Statistically, drivers between the age 17-25 are more likely to engage in unsafe driving behaviors such as, speeding and running red lights. Therefore, theses drivers are more likely to get into more accidents and make claims. As a result, insurance companies consider 17-year-old driver high-risk drivers. In order to offset the extra risk young drivers pose, insurance companies will charge more to cover these drivers.
Car insurance types
There are different types of car insurance policies that meet different needs. Mainly, there are two types of insurance in Saudi: TPL and Comprehensive car insurance. Get to know what each offers, so you don’t have to worry about any surprise bills.
- Third Party Insurance: is a mandatory requirement by law. This type of insurance will cover the cost of damage caused to another person, and repair their car should you get into an accident for which you are to blame. However, you must become a named driver on a TPL policy; because insurance provides coverage only for authorized drivers, under the age of 18, whose names are specifically listed in the policy scheudle.
- Can a 17-year-old driver issue third party insurance on his own?
- Accoridng to The Unified Compulsory Motor Insurance Policy, the policyholder has to be at least 18 Hijri years old and holding a valid driver’s license.
- Comprehensive insurance: This type of car insurance covers damage caused to another person, their car as well as your own car repairs and medical costs; regardless of fault. These policies can expand the age limit to allow coverage to drivers whose ages range between 18 to 25 years; in return for an additional fee. Since this type of insurance is optional, terms and condition vary from one insurer to another. So, be sure to compare coverage and benefits before you buy!
- Can a 17-year-old driver take out a comprehensive insurance policy on their own?
- Drivers under 25 years of age can purchase car insurance on their own with an additional premium to extend the age restriction.
Adding drivers to insurance
Insurance for 17-25 year old drivers can be expensive, but driving without insurance is an definitely more expensive!
If you plan to drive an insured family car to avoid high costs, you’ll want to make sure you that the existing car insurance covers you too. To be on the same level of cover as the policyholder, you must first obtain an authorization to drive or use the insured car. After that, the policyholder must add your name to the additional driver section in the policy schedule. All they have to do is update the insurance company and pay the necessary fees.
- If someone is not authorized: The car owner may face legal and financial liability for any damage the unauthorized driver causes while driving the car.
- If someone is not a named driver: Unless the driver’s name is mentioned in the policy schedule, the insurance company has the right to refuse to cover the accident or recover the amounts paid to compensate others due to non-compliance with the terms and conditions of the policy.
As a reuslt, the policyholder will have to pay to the repair costs and compensate bodily injury. On top of everything, this will also jeopardise the policyholder’s no-claim discount, prompting the insurer to charge higher rates next year!
How to save on car insurance as a 17 years old
As a first-time driver, you’ll want to make sure you get the best rate on your car insurance. There are many ways you can cut your insurance costs, here are three:
- Shop around. Compare insurance rates from multiple insurance companies to see where you may be able to get the best deal for the coverage you want.
- Establish a clean driving record. Being an excellent driver with no accidents or violations can definitely help reduce your insurance over time. Read about no-claims discount!
- Take advantage of offers. Insurance companies offer many discounts and offers throught the year. Keep an eye out for a good discounts during Saudi National Day and end of the year.