Things to remember when modifying your car
Car modifications have always been a big trend among young drivers in Saudi Arabia. The look of having a car that is unique has always appealed to younger drivers as well as changing the way a car looks, drivers also sup-up the car engine for increased performance. Most drivers that modify their cars either making body changes or enhancing the car engine don’t realize it effects it has on your car insurance in Saudi Arabia, in a lot of ways or more than one. Before you take the step, you have to be aware of the consequence of car modification on your insurance. That’s because customizing your car affects both your insurance cost and claims. Moreover, it can void your policy; eventually, your insurer will reject your claims for providing false information about your car.
Modifications that can increase the cost of insurance:
- Mechanical modification: Are the changes you make for boosting your car’s performance, such as changes to suspension, wheel chassis, gearbox, or a turbocharged engine.
- Aesthetic modifications: Changing the look of a car can also raise your insurance.
Changes that can affect the performance of the car can also increase the chances of road accidents. The main reason behind this is the official testing performed on your car by the manufacturer is considered by insurance companies as a safety assurance aspect and any changes to the car’s performance performed by a car owner are assumed not safe by insurance companies in Saudi Arabia. So, if you are looking to modify your car, take a look at SASO’s Technical Regulation for Modified Vehicles and Limited Production Models.
The relationship between car modification and insurance rates
There are many factors that affect the price of car insurance. Basically, when you look for insurance, you will be asked whether your car has been modified or not. Because determining the price is based on:
Compare Car insurance quotesGet a quote
- all factors that affect the value of the car
- or factors that increase car theft
- or get involved in an accident, are taken into account.
This will help ensure that every aspect of your modified car is suitably covered against risk.
When modifying your car, always:
- Use Authorized dealers: If you are modifying your car, it is important to do so with an authorized dealership that has the right original tested parts that supports your car make. Insurance companies trust and prefer that you use authorized dealerships when compared to the third-party workshop parts which perform modifications in Saudi Arabia. Most insurers in Saudi Arabia cover modifications done by authorized dealerships.
- Notify your insurance company: If you already have insurance for your car and are modifying your car for performance or look, then you must consult and notify your insurance company. The insurance company may ask you to pay an additional premium coverage charge based on the modification. Sometimes, failure to inform the insurer may result in the rejection of insurance claims.
It’s not only insurance companies you need to be wary of when modifying your car, the Saudi Traffic Department enforces fines ranging from 300 to 500 SAR and impounds modified cars that are considered to be a road hazard and do not adhere to their rules or violates traffic laws.
Follow the below steps with the Saudi Traffic Department:
1. Visit the nearest traffic office and inform them of your car modifications.
2. Fill out the car modification request form.
3. Your request is then referred to a traffic consultant, which evaluates the modification request and makes sure that the modifications are to road safety standards. If approved the driver will be allowed to make the modifications to his car.
Are you struggling to find affordable insurance for your modified car?
You’re not alone! Many sports, classic and modified cars lovers go through what you are going through when looking for car insurance at an affordable price. Therefore, we advise you to try a specialized insurance site to compare car insurance prices online in Saudi Arabia, such as the wakeel platform. wakeel enables you not only to get a budget-friendly insurance policy but also enables you to compare and choose from a range of add-on covers to find an insurance policy that truly meets all your needs.