Why did Accidents Become a Ramadan Phenomenon
During Ramadan, everyone is looking for shorter working hours, and getting ready to return home quickly it home before iftar time. Others are also mentally preparing to survive Iftar rush hour and less-than-optimal driving behaviors on the road. Traffic is a heavy, heaving feature of the holy month; the holy month is also marked by a spike in car accidents, as crowds take to the roads to commemorate Ramadan with family and friends.
Sometimes, accidents are inevitable — especially during Ramadan! Here is what you need to prevent accidents and keep your comprehensive insurance rates low.
Why are accidents common during Ramadan?
During the Holy month of Ramadan, we witness major changes. Namely, changes in our working hours, sleeping patterns, and eating habits.
In general, the Ramadan-specific lifestyle has physical effects on our body, which can result in dehydration and low blood sugar, which in turn can affect drivers’ attentiveness, concentration, vision, and reaction. Aside from that, some drivers experiencing withdrawal headaches could feel more irritable or prone to aggressive driving.
Top traffic violations committed during Ramadan
Additioanlly, traffic violations are another main contributing factor to car accidents during Ramadan. Specifically, these traffic violations include:
- Speeding. Most accidents in Ramadan take place before sunset for iftar as a result of speeding. Speeding significantly increases the risk of car accidents and can make the consequences of an accident more severe.
- Running red lights. Likewise, red-light running is a leading cause of accidents during Ramadan. Running a red light can not only lead to fatalities but is also the culprit behind some of the worst car collisions.
- Sudden deviation. is one of the main causes of horrific traffic accidents in Saudi, according to Traffic Safety in 2022. It happens when drivers are not paying attention, exceed the speed limit, or enter a lane without making sure that it is free of cars.
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving can include things like texting, talking on the phone, or engaging in any activity that takes your attention away from the road. When drivers are distracted, their ability to react to changing road conditions is reduced, and this can also impair their driving performance.
- Wrong overtaking. This means moving unexpectedly from one lane to another without making sure that the new lane is free. This can cause other drivers to brake suddenly or swerve to avoid a collision, leading to chain reaction accidents or other dangerous situations
- Parking violations. Parking in undesignated areas obstructs traffic. Plus, it can make crossing the road safely for pedestrians impossible. On top of everything, it could also put your own car at risk of hit & run accidents.
- Drowsy driving. Impairs drivers’ ability to react to stimuli and make good decisions, much in the same way that intoxicated driving impairs a driver’s abilities.
Be cautious to avoid accidents during Ramadan
During this season, drivers’ negligence can significantly increase the risk of car accidents. By understanding the main causes of accidents, you can make informed decisions and take preventative measures to keep yourself safe. Plus, being a safe driver can also help you avoid traffic violations and hefty fines, which could eventually impact your car insurance premiums.
Speaking of which, experts believe that car insurance premiums are likely to go up further, as a result of increasing accidents in Saudi.
Car accidents impact insurance
Overall, higher accident rates can affect how much you pay for your car insurance. Most car insurance companies use statistical data to assess risk and determine premiums. If there are more accidents in your area, this indicates a higher likelihood of accidents in the future, which represents a higher risk for the insurance company. As a result, your car insurance rates may increase. Besides, if your driving records show a history of violations and accidents, this is another red flag.
Be prepared for Ramadan accidents,
All in all, it is important to be aware of these factors and take necessary precautions to reduce the risk of accidents during Ramadan. By obeying traffic rules and driving safely, you can avoid accidents, traffic violations — and maintain your Najm eligibility discount for the lowest car insurance rates.
By being proactive with your driving habits and insurance coverage, you can have peace of mind knowing that you are prepared for the unexpected. Basically, comprehensive car insurance provides coverage for damages and injuries resulting from accidents. You can even compare car insurance online! Before you buy, visit an insurance price comparison site in Saudi to help you find the best car insurance deals.