Securing Cars By Using a Dashcam in Saudi
By now, you’ve probably at least seen several clips from in-car cameras going viral on social media platforms: dashcams are becoming increasingly popular in Saudi Arabia. In fact, a large number of drivers installed dashcams for insurance and security purposes. Namely, to record violations, car accidents, and dangerous actions that they might encounter on the road. If you haven’t followed the hype here in Saudi to install a dashcam, you may be tempted now.
To help you out, we came up with a guide to consider before making a decision regarding installing a dashcam in Saudi.
What is a dashcam?
Simply put, the word “dashcam” combines parts of “dashboard” and “camera” to refer to a video camera mounted on the car’s dashboard or rear-view mirror. This device continuously records activity on the road and your surroundings. Think of it like Saher’s digital camera to capture traffic violations, but from your own car!
What Are the Benefits of Having a Dashcam in Saudi?
Whenever there’s an accident, there are usually two people involved, and you’re one of them. Of course, if you’re at fault your insurance will cover all Third-party claims. But, have you ever been in a hit & run car accident or an accident where the other driver refused to admit his fault?
Well, accidents happen all the time, but that doesn’t mean you should be paying for others’ mistakes. When you have irrefutable evidence, like a dashcam recording, you can:
Compare Car insurance quotesGet a quote
- Prove an accident was not your fault.
- Settle Najm post accidents procedures faster in your favor, meaning less hassle and expense for you.
- Most importantly, dashcam’s footage protects you against false accusations or any insurance fraud that could make your car insurance rates go up drastically.
Aside from keeping car insurance affordable and your NCD (no claims discount). Dashcams can also help in reducing car accidents rates since more drivers are aware that their behavior is being monitored.
For example, dashcams can help you document:
- High-speed undertaking
- Driving against the direction of traffic
- Not using turn signals
- Driving on the shoulder (emergency lane)
- Any violations or road rage you may encounter
Do I need car insurance if I have a dashcam installed?
There’s no arguing the usefulness of dashcams, but you still need some level of protection to drive in Saudi. Simply because this technology cannot prevent accidents, nor does it protect you against third-party liability. Therefore, having TPL car insurance is required in Saudi. Simply, TPL is proof of responsibility for any damage you cause. After all, car insurance is really here to help you shoulder the responsibility of paying repair expenses and medical bills. So, rather than canceling your car insurance, compare car insurance rates in Saudi.
Can I buy a dashcam in Saudi?
According to Saudi Traffic Department, owning and using dashcams is perfectly legal in Saudi. However, the mounting must not obstruct the driver’s view; otherwise, dashcams can actually cause an accident rather than prevent one. Dashcams are available online, or at most major electronics stores and hypermarkets in the kingdom for as low as SAR 50 and can go up to the hundreds for high-end versions.
Must-have features for Dashcams in Saudi
The choice is entirely yours, depending on your budget, needs, and preferences. But here are some must-have features for dashcams in Saudi:
- Video Quality: One of the most important factors to have in mind while buying a dashcam is the video resolution, ensure the dashcam shoots in 1080p or full-HD resolution. Also, look for a wide-angle lens that can capture 3 lanes at least.
- Night Vision: At night, or in other low-light conditions, the dashcam can record clear video footage of the car’s surroundings.
- Battery: All dash cams have a power source built in – either a battery or a capacitor. Capacitors are more heat-resistant than batteries to endure Saudi’s hot weather.
- Connectivity: The best dash cams come with Wi-Fi connectivity, which allows you to share and download video files directly to your smartphone or other devices.
- Storage: Nowadays, most dash cams accept SD cards to guarantee sufficient storage for video files and backup.
- Parking Mode: This is a useful function if you park your car outside your garage or in a busy street. If someone bumps into your car or breaks into it your car the footage can help track the vehicle plate number to provide necessary details to Najm/ car insurance company.
Today, it’s fair to say Dash cam culture on the rise in Saudi Arabia and it’s becoming a vital accessory in cars This is because a car dashboard camera can save you from a lot of hassle when you are involved in an unexpected incident. Particularly, the video proof will save you from any car insurance fraud attempts and it will also come in handy during Najm’s investigation.
In a nutshell, dashcams and car insurance go hand in hand together. The two provide optimum protection to your car, but a dashcam is not a substitute for an insurance policy. Starting to see things clearly now? You should invest in a car insurance policy that fits your needs the same way you invest in a high-quality dashcam. wakeel can help you buy car insurance that suits your requirements. Compare car insurance rates online in Saudi and save on your car insurance.